Both my babies are going to school.
Most mom's are super stoked about things like this, but true to form, I'm a little unusual: I'm devastated. For pete's sakes I recall birthing them like it was yesterday and here comes tomorrow, ready to snatch my sweet T to kindergarten. And let's not get started on my pint size ball of fury who will be attending pre-school sometime soon, like when mom decides where to put him. Did I mention I'm not loving this whole child-leaving-mommy scenario? It's making me procrastinate the inevitable.
So tonight I put on my fake happy face and we had our own family back-to-school night full of old traditions and new.
This year we decided to add to our special dinner some entertainment in the form of a talent show. The idea was to have our kids focus on their strengths and recognize how many gifts God's given them, so that when they go to school and come across situations that require them to be confident, they will know they are capable and extraordinary. I hope they never forget it.
T spent all afternoon painting a family portrait with acrylics on canvas. He is so talented in so many things that I know this kid will go far with whatever he decides strikes his fancy. He literally could not sit still until he could present his talent to Dave and Gav. He's darling, and so is his interpretation of Dave's hair and skin coloring.
Gavin, too, is a man of many abilities. He told us his best talents were riding his bike, playing with his friends, and pooping. We all agreed. But, since we all know he's the best "organizer" on the planet, we had him do a how-to video on how to organize a closet. It was freaking awesome. He did a little play by play while straitening Dave's flip-flops, and gave us some personal insights into his potty-training while lining up the heels. He's headed for HGTV for sure.
I "copped out" according to Dave, and claimed making dinner as my talent (which it obviously is if you've tasted my flan), and Dave claimed his talent was his awesome dancing and singing skills. He wisked me off the couch and started singing It's Your Love all the while grabbing my bum while slow dancing in front of the boys. Gav loved the show but Tyler refused to look and claimed to be throwing up in his mouth. I liked Dave's talent best.
The boys picked out their favorite items for dinner and it turned out to not be spegehtti for the third back to school dinner in a row. Hurray! Instead we got Beef Au-Ju sadwiches with corn on the cob and strawberry lemonade. And both their recent faves, cocount flan, for dessert. See, I ooze talent. Not so much for my cooking, but for my ability to make my men happy.
Later, as I was tucking T into bed and talking about the excitement of tomorrow he snuggled me and said, "I'm sorry you're going to miss me. You're gonna be all alone. Dad goes to work and me and Gav go to school. It's sad to be you, mom." No matter that he said it kinda snarky like he was rubbing it in my face.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Say it aint so...
Doing a sketch before breaking out the paints.
Gav's "how-to" video.
Posted by Iliana at 9:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I think i might cry...they are so big and cute! Ps cooking is not your only talent. You can clearly see that by reading your blog :)
I'm with you about being devastated. I've cried twice today and Maggie doesn't even start until next week. It is sad. Love you guys.
You are the bestest most creative mom.
They look so big! Isn't it so weird to have a quiet house? Weird, a little sad, and a little nice. You are awesome. Thanks again for the sweet e-mail you wrote me. It really gave me some strength that I was sorely lacking at the moment. You're such a good friend, Il. We need to get everyone over here soon. This twice a year crap isn't cutting it. ;)
Oh my you are an amazing mom! Holy cow. Its a good thing Sadie and Jared don't read blogs. I'd be in trouble for sure. I bought Sadie a "smovie" (smoothie) for her first day of school cause that is about all she likes these days besides chocolate and chicken nuggets.
what a fun mom you are!! And i wanted to actaully SEE the "how to" video as well as Dave's dancing skills... sounds pretty awesome!! :) Oh, and I am pretty sure my 8 year old could not have painted a picture that well!
I want to be one of your kids, Iliana. Seriously.
You are such a great mom. Will Gav come organize my closet?
Post a Comment