I seriously did. Maybe. I think I know what Chi means.
So I've been going crazy with so much stuff going on that the crazy has recently been accompanied with grouchy, short tempered, and weepy. And no, I'm not pregnant so don't ask. Well, since me being off kilter apparently effects everyone in my life (thanks Dave for pointing this out multiple times a day), I'm glad my trip to Burley, Idaho came when it did. The Spudman Triathlon was awesome (again), and without the two kiddos I was able to hear myself think. This thinking led me to realize that there are four things I need in my life in order to feel balanced, happy and energized: good friends, happy kids, my darling and direct husband, and my own sanity. The last may never really happen, but I hear there's some good pills out there if it gets really bad.
Friends
Thank goodness for other women who are as crazy as I am. I love that there are other human beings on this planet that understand me and my frustrations, who like to spend money with me :), and who are funnier than heck. I love having friends. And though all of them aren't as nuts as these three, sorry to tell the rest of you guys, you're all still nuts.
So at the begining of the year I started training for triathlon season with some gals from the neighborhood. We even had a trainer kicking our rears into gear. I even spent lots of money. I even had good intentions. Then I quit. I have many reasons and excuses, but the bottom line was my bottom. It's too big and I wasn't willing to put in the HOURS AND HOURS it took to train. Estella, Chellese and Valarie are troopers though. Seriously, they are amazing. And not even just at being athletes. They've all got it together big time.
Don't they just look awesome?!
My Boys
So after about an hour in the car going up to the Spudman I felt like crying. Poor Dave, he thinks I can't stand being alone with him, but really I just don't know what to do without screaming and hearing "Mom.Mom.Mom.Mom." a million times a day. Turns out I actually like the crying. Well, maybe like is too strong, but you know what I mean. Distance makes the heart grow fonder for sure and I missed my boys so much even if it was only a little over 24 hours I was away from them. I realized that though they are pretty much the sole cause of my insanity, they are also such a huge part of my happiness.
This is us at the zoo. So sad this is like the only recent pic with us three all in it.
Pretty sure this is me calming T down cause he accidentally just peed his pants.
My Dave
So my husband amazes me like no one else. He can also make me more ticked than anyone, but we'll save that for the councilor. So when we signed up for the Spudman in January my only goal was to beat his time. Of coarse that didn't happen since I didn't even don on my wetsuit, but even if I had I couldn't have beat him. Dave has more ability than anyone and it all stems from his drive. If he says he can do something, he can and will. I really think our bodies can do amazing things if our minds can only propel us forward, and he sure has the mind power. I, on the other hand, am prone to giving into my fears and aches and allow myself to be held back. This exists for both of us not only when it comes to exercise, but basically eveything in life. I think this is main reason I married him. He can do what I only dream of doing.
He's in the middle. The whole vibe of the Spudman is one of the most amazing feelings ever. There are so many people who have so much will power and such physical ability that it manifests itself in an excitement and energy that is hard to compare. Can't you just feel it?!
He's out there somewhere.
Myself
So here's the thing. I say yes a whole lot. I write too many to-do lists. I don't sleep well. I eat crappy. I am always holding a child and sometimes its the 47 pounder. I like a clean house. I like alone time with my husband. I like to read. I like to blog. I don't sit down till well after the kids are in bed. And all of this leads to a tired, frazzled 28 year old who has taken up some four letter words. So this weekend in Burley, I decided this: let it go! Let the house go for a day without dusting a thing. Say no occasionally but do what I can. Go to the gym. Kiss my husband more even if this means holding my baby less. Get a grip lady! Besides taking a shower and feeding the kids, what do I really HAVE to do today? Well, there are some things, but others are expendable. So I decided I'm gonna relax. I'm going to treat myself to pat on the back and a sigh of relief even if toys are everywhere and we are eating tacos for the second time this week. I'm doing just fine. Right? I can't be everything to everyone. People don't even like people who try. It's too stifling. Sometimes I think my kids and friends even like me better when I'm not together because that means I'm lessed stressed and more imperfect. So here's to letting go of control freak and embracing easy going.
It's like these four. You do the best you can, you eventually finish, and there is certainly going to be some reward at the end right? I'm just crossing my fingers my reward isn't a potato medal.
18 comments:
Iliana - I think you are wonderful. And not because your house is always clean (I don't think I have ever been in your house), or because your kids are perfect (perfect kids are scary and non-existent). I think you are great because you are funny and beautiful (awesome skin and I LOVE your hair - straight or curly) and I can tell how much you love your hubby and kiddos.
hahaha! You make me feel like maybe i am not alone in this world! And your husband and friends inspire me and I totally want to do a triathalon after i have this baby! Too bad we don't live closer or maybe we could kick each other's butts! :)
thank you so much for making me feel a little more normal. and thanks for going to the zoo with me. Brighton had a lot more fun with Tyler there to be excited about the animals.
Illiana, you should write a book! I am laughing my head off right now! Forget Stephenie Meyer! I am SOOOO right there with you about the kids! This summer has been a killer! :)..and yes, they all got my LOUD voice! I am so laughing you admit to quiting the triathalon too, most people would just make up an excuse, like an injury or something dumb! Good for you for even TRYING! (i can only doggy paddle the swimming pool:) My friends husband died in that water, so NO WAY for me! Were you there when that happened? SO SAD!
Tell Dave congrats!
I'm so glad you are back!
I missed you and your wittiness.
Your blog title had me a bit confused, I was thinking CHI the hair-straightener and product line. Of course, you didn't disappoint. You always just hit the nail on the head and say what the rest of us are thinking, or want to say ourselves.
Your friends and husband are amazing. How long was each part of this triathlon? Regardless, I couldn't do it! Good for them!
I LOVE YOU!! You crack me up and make me feel like I am more sane than I probably really am. The fact that you even signed up for that crazy triathalon makes you tough!! You are a great mom and I have NEVER seen your house dirty.
Oh and by the way, I am glad you learned to say no!!
YAY! So happy to see your post. The pictures you posted crack me up. Estela looks exactly like you said - like she just did a warm up, Valerie is smiling and me, I look like I about died (which is about how I felt). I love all that you wrote especially the part about people not liking people who are too perfect. So much easier to relate to people who are falling apart like me (of course not insinuating that you are falling apart. You are SO much more put together than I). I love you, Iliana. XOXO.
Iliana I think you're fantastic. (Don't I say that every time I leave a comment?) I am inspired. We need to see each other next time you're down here. Oh! I'll be in Provo for a wedding on August 8-9. It will be busy but if you're around we should get together for a minute.
OK, so I am so happy that you are embracing the relaxed Iliana. Now you see why my house is a mess - because I came to your exact point where I said, "either explode, implode, or forget the dishes today!" Sometimes the house gets way out of control, and then I get even more worked up, but I hear you! If it is possible to really get it ALL done EVERY day, when do you live life? So as you take a moment to relax, if you start to feel guilty, know that you are actually busy at work as my therapist! Really, your blogs are so refreshing. They give me new perspective and they remind me that I love my crazy kids and husband. Who needs a shrink? You are more profound than you know! You inspire me!
You are such a great writer! I enjoy reading your blog and agree with a previous comment that you should write a book. Thanks for sharing the pictures and for the good advice to avoid Burley’s Best Hotel. Love ya!!
Iliana Gardner!!! So excited to have found you!! Sara G. here your old merrill lynch buddy--check out my blog and email me
thegardnerz@yahoo.com
Wow! I'm impressed at the triathletes! That's amazing. And Iliana, so are YOU! I just wish you had driven a little further and come to Boise! I think that being insane is a normal part of motherhood. -- you're not alone.
Wow! I'm impressed at the triathletes! That's amazing. And Iliana, so are YOU! I just wish you had driven a little further and come to Boise! I think that being insane is a normal part of motherhood. -- you're not alone.
Amen to everything you just said---and remember life on the beach--El Gulfo that is---and everything will fall into place---a bowl of ice cream works wonders, too.
nm
Iliana...I love this blog. Thanks for sharing. The pictures are pretty good. Since there isn't any veto powers, I guess I'll just have to post my own somewhere else, right? :) Thanks for coming and supporting the Tri. It was fun to hang with you guys!
If you figure out how to hold on to that Chi you harnessed, you should patent it and sell it - or better yet, you could write a book about it! I love to read your posts - you always make me laugh! You are such a fun person and a great mom!
OK, time for a new post...kids are in school now--no excuses! :)
Post a Comment