Life is like a poorly planned bike ride. And by poorly planned I mean there are WAY too many hills. Like the ride Dave and I did last weekend. See, you peddle for a long time thinking okay, we must be halfway through this ride, when you're really only 4 miles into it and there is a series of hills coming right up. So you crank it down to your lowest gear and try to keep up. Your legs burn, you feel like swearing, and you're about ready to jump off the bike and walk the rest of the way. But you come to your senses and realize the pain will go by much faster on two wheels than on two legs, so you keep going. Just when you actually have sworn a series of lovelies you reach the top. All the pain that seemed too unbearable is forgotten as the wind whips around you and your chest burns in that awesome way it does when you've pushed yourself and you finally let up. And in those 5 seconds you are so glad you went up that hill, just so you could go down it. But then there's the next hill...
I really feel that as a wife and mother, this is the metaphor for my life. I spend and hour and a half cooking dinner, and plates are being cleared in 20 minutes. I do six loads of laundry and even put them away in drawers, only to have one cute baby pull out most everything in 10 seconds. I spend the morning cleaning the kitchen for it only to be spoiled with spilled juice and stepped on cracker cumbs within minutes. And then there are of coarse the major hills of life that can seem so daunting and terrifying. It seems going up hill takes so much time and energy, all for a few seconds of bliss. Then you head back up. But you know what? The hard work is really worth it. And I'm really glad I have a partner (both biking and otherwise) that helps me see that and often drags me up that hardest hill. Besides, what is worth having if it didn't take a little out of you to get it? Plus, I've been blessed with some little guys that help me laugh through it...

So if you're like me and need a little boost up the hill, read this (over and over).
18 comments:
I think I really needed to read this tonight. You are such a good mom and your boys know it. I wonder why I clean at all sometimes.. So basically I just don't!! Oh and the "coupons"...Izzy's favorite toy.
One of my all-time FAVORITE posts. And that article has been read by me a few times already. I think about it all the time.... it really does help to give you a boost, doesn't it? You're boys are hilarious and must keep you laughing all day. :)
Love your blog...as always {are you sick of me saying that yet?}
And love the pictures. I can't believe he even "kind of" knows the name of tampons! {Micah has no clue...probably has never seen one! So uncultured, my son is!} Those pictures are classic!
That is exactly how I feel most days and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. And it looks like Gavin is walking. No walking yet for Brent, he still just crawls everywhere. You do such a good job with your boys. Every time I see all the fun stuff on your blog it makes me feel like my kids don't have nearly as much fun as yours.
SUCH a good post! And your kiddos are so cute!
Dang those feminine "treats". Peyton LOVES them. I'll have to tell you an experience sometime. We should all go to seven peaks or something. Oh and my dear, if I have to unload the dishwasher one more time this week I'll die. I feel your pain, but you know what I treat myself to delicous treats every time I have a "biking up the hills" week! You hsould do the same. Call me if you need me to bring something over!
Okay, Iliana, you recognize the hills in life and you are ready to conquer. So go buy a bike and saddle up, girl, cause you can do SALEM. That's right, I know it's two days away, but why not, right? It doesn't matter if you make it to the top of the hill quickly. Onward and Upward is what my Dad always used to say. I think you're cool!
I loved hearing that talk in Conference. Tate must have been sleeping since I actually remember watching it. You are a great blogger/writer and I appreciate your outlook on life. Thanks!
Awesome blog! You had me laughing and crying (inside) throughout. I can't believe how hard and how rewarding life can be. Ain't it great?!?
I just love your posts! They are so much fun to read. Your boys are so cute too. I wish I had one and so does Colten.
So, I jumped head first into the blogging world and found yours through mutual friends we have. I hope you don't mind me snooping :) I love the quotes from Tyler...classic. I think we can all relate to the mommy "hills", but you are a great one. Shoot me an email and I'll invite you to our blog (lhawley15@yahoo.com)..I'm one of those paranoid people who have a private one.
okay you are officially the funniest person I know. I love the coupons. Isn't motherhood glamorous? You write what we are all thinking. Thanks for the laugh.
Iliana I love to read your blog. As everyone else has stated. I miss your funny comments in person! Love the pics of Gavin and Tylers terminology. Cass just calls them straws. Yeah, weirdo. Dn't know why but whatever. Congrats on the 5K!
Thank you so much for that blog, I really needed it after my wonderful week of bedrest. I've been feeling so down and wondering if what I do really makes a difference,and then my kids will give me a sweet smile or a hug and an "I love you" and it melts my heart.
You are so wonderful and always so nice, I can't wait to get back outside with the kids and mom talk.
Thanks for your example!!!
hahaha! I have some pictures almost identical to your "coupon" pics but of my olest, Connor, when he was a baby. For some reason those are such a fun toy!! Why is that? ;)
I feel like that most of the time. To tell you that this year, my new year's resolution was to NOT make dinner. No matter what I made, someone wasn't happy. That resolution as many others didn't stick. I am back making dinner and just hoping that the next down hill slope is near.
Oh my gosh! if you meet my boys...you will learn they are the farthest thing from angelic there is! But we still love them. ;) We are moving to Houston at the end of this month. I think it is about 2 hours from San Antonio. But that is just a guess. I know it is driveable and we would love to see you guys! Party at Regan's house! She'll love that we are making these plans, I am sure. ;) My email is tiffanywashburn@yahoo.com
Oh, you are so much fun! I love your positive outlook and your amazing talent in writing! Thank you for sharing! You are such a great mom - I love hearing and seeing how much your boys adore you - it's written all over their faces!
Post a Comment