Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sometimes I want to fastforward and sometimes I don't...




(T's Patriotic Program at school a few weeks ago. FYI, the girl next to him is his current "girlfriend" although her mom told me that her dad had to give her the lecture that she couldn't actually "date" Tyler till she was 24. She asked me when she could come over to our house to play with T. She was dissatisfied when I told her I'd have to get back to her after I talked to her mom. She's dramatic and loud and smart and could easily put T in his place at any moment. I like her.)


So today started off with rudeness and crudeness being spewed out by the oldest faster than I could say FIVE MORE MINUTES IN TIME OUT! I thought I was in for a long day. And I had vowed the night before to obstain from any form of sugar permanently so I was extra grouchy. But after six or so hours of wondering how I went wrong with my children the past five years, Tyler casually told me, "I'm going to respect you now mom." Those exact words. Out of his mouth.

I guess he just decided he was bored of his old ways.

When I asked him to stop talking about farts and smells and bodily functions he stopped.

When I asked him to clean up his toys, he did.

When I asked him why he was being so sweet, he said, "cause you're so sweet, mom."

What the crap was this kid's angle? What was he buttering me up for? He'd learned the art of manipulation well.

I spent a good portion of the afternoon wondering when this bubble was going to burst with a fit of fist throwing and naughty words, but it never did.

Instead, I got hugs. Lots of hugs. And, "mom, your so smart." And "Oh, I'll run upstairs and get that for you!"

It was wierd and scary and wonderful.

And after I put the boys to bed I asked Dave when it was when he finally stopped "loving" his mom. You know, in that I love you more than anything cause you are my rock, type of way. He said he didn't know. I started to panic.

Holy crap one day it'll all change. Tiny hands won't want to fit into mine. They won't think I'm the wisest, prettiest person they know. Dang it.

So I'm now vowing to spend the next few days plotting and scheming a way to ensure the inevitable won't happen. I love devoting myself to lost causes. I can't help it. Just like I couldn't help eating a handful of jelly beans before dinner. Totally worth it.





(Just cause I think he's awesome.)


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Seriously, I love all of your blog posts. "I'm going to respect you now"? That's awesome!

Tiffany W. said...

I wish my 7 year old would start respecting me now! can I send him to your house until he figures it out? Thanks! ;) Love reading your posts... so you should post more often. :)

Whitney said...

maybe he could teach brighton some of that respect. Brighton already does not like kisses from me... but I give them to him any way. even if he wipes them off.

Gabby said...

How can you help but love T? BTW...I don't know who's more heart broken about T liking another girl...me or Drew?
WE HAD A DEAL!!!

Regan said...

You are always so good at writing your posts! I know what you mean by sometimes wanting to stop time from moving forward and then other times I can't wait for the day that my kids are older. I guess we just need to enjoy it while we can.