Tuesday, October 06, 2009

To Flourish...


T grew these enormous sunflowers this summer. From such a little seed (same ones as my mom would always bring on long car rides to the beach or Idaho, spitting out her shells in a red plastic cup,) came such a hunk of flower that Dave had to dig hard and deep to finally get rid of it when the huge head had pulled the whole thing over. This flower was Ts pride and joy. He never could get over how fast and tall it grew, and every morning the first thing to be done was look out the window to monitor its progress. And to think we almost didn't plant it because sunflowers have never been one of my flowers of choice. I've since changed my mind.

All that sunflower needed was a little water. Very little. Some sun. And when it was growing too big for its britches, a good stake placed in the right spot. It was a dang hardy plant.

All I need is a little water (or Diet Coke), some sun, and a good stake too. My stakes are found in their usual places, waiting patiently for me to use them to help steady my life. I'm so glad I know where to find them and use them. They are all the difference to me, with-out them I start to uproot and fall. And all that planting and tending has made me hardy too.

So on weeks like this one, where I've been given a otherwise noxious flower to plant, I realize I can grow it. I can make it work. I might even be able to see it become beautiful.



10 comments:

Chellese said...

That sunflower is freakin' amazing. So many lessons in that little seed.

Tiffany W. said...

What a flower! Makes me want to plant some. Hmmm... maybe I will! :)

Mindika said...

With every post I'm convinced more and more that you should be a writer. Beautiful little lessons in that huge flower.

and by the way...where have I been. I had no idea that was in your backyard. I guess I need to walk behind our houses every now and then.

BLStradling said...

You are Beautiful! Great post as usual!

Anonymous said...

You're amazing Iliana, I need to have more faith like you!

And way to go T, that flower is awesome!!!

Amanda said...

That flower looks unreal! I need Tyler to come and teach me a thing or to. I can't make anything grow! Great post.

Regan said...

That sunflower is beautiful! Your blog posts are so good by the way. You always have something so interesting and profound to say. It puts my blogs to shame!

Gabby said...

Those suckers are hard to get rid of!

Melissa said...

OH, what memories that brings back of shoveling out those stupid plants every summer - and the bees that hung and stung around! Thanks for the beautiful post -great analogy.

JOJO said...

Amen..this is why I garden...so many promptings come and lessons to apply. Beautiful!