Sunday, August 30, 2009

To sleep or not to sleep...



I'm not a lover of camping.

Gasp. I know. You'd think a girl who seems kinda granola-y what with all the no make-up mantra and tennis shoe wearing might like herself some camping. A girl who would take a smore above almost all other sugar should like camping. A girl who grew up camping on a very frequent basis must love camping. You couldn't be more wrong.

Dirt and bugs and porta potties and no running water to wash hands after porta pottying, and tents, and no sheets, and more bugs. All very big reasons camping ain't my thing.

But I did it anyway. Mostly because I am quite an exceptional wife, mother and friend. I'm very sure that sacrificing a whole night of sleep and a whole day after for laundering blanket after blanket qualifies me to be so narcassistic.

But.. You knew there'd be a but. But, it wasn't so bad; maybe even a little enjoyable. The company was great, the boys slept like little angels all bundled in thier 10 layers of warmth, and I ate the best freaking apple carmel dutch oven cobbler ever, thanks to the great Chef Mindi.

Looking at these pictures makes me think it was fun. In retrospect almost anything truly unpleasant seems better and not so horrific. So I'll prepare myself for next year when I'll sacrafice a whole other night of sleep to give my boys some memories. Man I'm nice.




9 comments:

Mikell Sudweeks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mikell Sudweeks said...

Looks fun to me!!! You are a nice wife and mother for going!

Camille Pedersen said...

same thing happened to me... all the work for camping, and it turned out pretty fun. Although, I still think one camping trip a year is enough. I'm more of a hotel kind of vacationer.

Lindsey said...

I'm not a lover of camping either so I feel your pain. Camping in a nice motorhome or trailer with a bed is my camp site of choice. Looks like you had fun though...plus, with 3 boys you're definitely outnumbered!

Sarah said...

What a champ you are!!! I am not much of a camper. Makes for some cute pics though!!

BLStradling said...

I am so proud of you! Camping with kids is not always the best, but oh the memories you are making for those cute boys! Brings back memories of when all of you were cute dirty kids camping and having a blast! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a fun time! Camping is a blast, we'll see how our fam does this weekend (if we end up going)!

Cookie Craving said...

joys of boys...they love dirt! Kudos to going au natural...
I got a good husband too...love that!

Emily, Julia, and Annie said...

Okay, I must have selective memory, but I thought you liked all those Strawberry camping trips? No?