Thursday, August 20, 2009

This one goes out to the one I love...


Tonight Dave and I were talking. Well, I was talking and Dave was pretending to listen and not act annoyed as he kept pausing Seabiscuit to catch the last few words of my rants.

"Dave, can you believe Gav did that?!..."

"Dave, what am I going to to about this?!..."

"Dave, I cant take it anymore!..."

And on and on and on.

And Dave would nod and give me the "huh" and "really?" and "ooohh" responses. And for a second there I thought, Holy crap. I get better conversations from my toddler. Then he'd smile and rub my arm and turn up the volume on the TV as if to soften the blow that he wanted me to just put a lid on it.

Now on most days this would annoy me. Really annoy me. But tonight I got over it cause I remembered how wonderful he is.

Dave deals with a lot. Since last October life has been interesting and it seems he rarely gets a good deep breath before the winds start blowing harder. And while there are small moments of defeat, he keeps chugging and chugging and chugging until those moments are in the past. He's a good guy. And heaven knows the Lord keeps giving and giving and giving.

Last night I went to dinner and a movie with friends and as we were driving home the girls were saying, "Wanna bet my dishes aren't done", or "I'm sure my kids are still up", and I was thinking, I KNOW my dishes are done, and that my kids are in bed. And sure enough they were. And not only that, he had spent the whole night building a bird house with the boys. And not just any bird house, but a "bird condominium" complete with a popsicle stick deck and apple juice boxes converted into water troughs.

And a few days before, after putting the boys to bed, he started cleaning the downstairs bathroom and moping floors. He said he just didn't want me to be stressed the next day since I had so much to do.

Here's the thing: He's always like that.

So what if he likes watching a midget of a man ride a crippled horse more than listening to my complaining? So what if he leaves crumbs wherever he's been. So what. I love him.

I think I done good. Real good.


9 comments:

Mindika said...

You did! Dave is a great guy. That bird house is too cool! Gav and T are very lucky kids. I think there's nothing more sweet than watching a daddy play with his kids.

P.S. Arnold gets a little props too. Last night the house was clean and Reese was sleeping soundly. I think we need to do GNO a lot more often.

Tiffany W. said...

that was such a cute post! You are a good wife! And that is for sure the coolest birdhouse ever! Dave seems like a wonderful husband and dad! Wish we had the chance to know him!

lvohs@hotmail.com & dvohs4@gmail.com said...

So cool Dave! So creative!

Chellese said...

My kids were in bed, but the dishes weren't done. I guess I didn't do half bad. Way to go Dave. Can you rub off a little on my husband?

Anonymous said...

Dave is awesome, you are one lucky lady!!!
Brayden keeps asking us to help him build a bird house, we aren't that nice though. One day:)

Mama G said...

Have I told you lately how much I really love you and your witty, heart-wrenching blogs?? Cause I do!

Audrey said...

Oh that is so sweet. And Dave is awesome. I love the way you can just feel how much you love your family just by reading your blogs.

shannon p. said...

Iliana, I love keeping up with your cute family and your awesome writing abilities! Thanks for sharing such funny, uplifting and REAL life blips - you are great!

lundparty said...

Dave is a great guy. And we miss being able to see you guys. Maybe sometime we will be able to see each other. That is the coolest birdhouse! Very impressed.