Today smelled like flowers in full bloom and wet rich dirt. It smelled like red and green bell peppers and sweet onion. It smelled a little like poopy diapers. It smelled like downey dryer sheets wafting their scent through the air from my neighbor's vent. It smelled like lavender baby shampoo.
Today looked like deep green trees and bright pink petals. It looked like soft blue skies and fluffy white clouds. It looked like messy little faces caked with layers of dirt and blue popsicles and then more dirt. It looked crisp and clear.
Today sounded like birds. Chirping at too early an hour. It sounded like whining. But also like hysterical, fall on the ground, out of breath, tears running down your face laughter. It sounded like begging and begging for snack after snack. It sounded like protests when carrots and cucumbers were offered. It sounded like tattle-tailing, and also like whispered I Love You's.
Today tasted like Saturday morning Lucky Charms. It tasted like peanut butter and jelly even though some wanted it to taste like ham and cheese. It tasted like spicy salsa and black beans. It tasted like sweaty baby faces. And even though sweat seems unappealing, off little cheeks it tastes divine.
Today felt like soft squishy bodies, so warm and sweet and perfect, being carried up stairs. Then it felt like a stiff back because babies aren't weighing the same as they used to anymore. It felt like tickley brown baby hairs sweeping across my face. It felt like little hands patting my legs, begging for me to admire towers and tricks. It felt like big muscley man arms laying next to mine. It felt like prickly grass underneath bare feet. It felt like tiredness mixed with energy.
And all these things lead me to think that I've got it made. Today made me want to remember.
Hopefully when my beauties are grown and gone from my immediate grasp, I can remember today and taste and feel and smell and hear and see the perfection that I lived and had. I hope that I can stretch out these days for so so long.
Saturday, May 30, 2009
If I could bottle it up...
Posted by Iliana at 9:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
My lesson tomorrow is "Finding Joy in the Journey." You said it all right there. Brilliant. And that last pic of Gav is also brilliant.
I never quite get over how cute your boys are.
You are an amazing writer and an amazing person!!!Love your post!
Thanks for making me cry this morning!!! I feel the exact same way!
Beautifully put! Thank you!
That was an awesome post! Thanks for the reminder that I need to stop and savor the moment a little more than I do. You are an amazing mom and example:)
ps. can you narrate my blog for me? mine is soooo boring:)
Well said!
What a great post. You are a talented writer. I was rolling when you remembered the oatmeal in a pan. Seriously that's all I ate...oh and Cafe Rio, chinese take out, cookies every night...that was a hilarious semester in the dark dungeon.
those are a couple of the cutest boys ever! Great pics!
Post a Comment