Monday, May 25, 2009

An athlete in the making...

All week long all T could talk about was his big race.

He tried to act cool about it like it was no big deal, but by the amount of times he brought it up, I could tell he was really excited. When Saturday morning came and we woke him up early to go, he couldn't stop smiling. My mommy cup was full.

As Dave was running the 5k (which he shaved about nine minutes off of from last year), T was practicing his running, stretching, and wanting me to switch his number from the back of his shirt to the front so he could admire it while he warmed up. As soon as the announcer said the kids race would begin, T ran to the start line and put on his serious face. His little fists were clenched and there was nothing but pure concentration running through his body. He wanted to win so badly.

We had had the conversation many times about winning. How its not everything. How just having fun is what counts. But lets be honest. He's a Gardner. Winning is everything. There is no fun to be had unless its in victory. And he didn't want to be anything but the first to run through those balloons.

And although he didn't end up being the first, he was close to the first, and he ran his heart out. He was amazing.

And as he held up his pink ribbon and free ice cream cone coupon to show me his prize, I could tell he was slightly disappointed. And for a split second I felt that disappointment too. For him. Oh how I want all his dreams to come true, even the small ones that end in him getting a first place trophy.

But the loss was soon replaced with a feeling of accomplishment. And that pink ribbon was carried around for two days strait, his number pinned on the next day too, his ice cream talked about in anticipation. He won't let a little disappointment derail him. He's already talking about his next race. And how he's going to win.

No doubt, he'll win one of these times. He's just that awesome.



Practicing and looking like a stud.

Getting a pre-race pep talk from the pro.

An amazing start.

And an equally amazing finish.


10 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

It's true, we like to win. Is it just me or does Tyler look like Mike in his Kindergarten movie? The size difference, wow:)

Mindika said...

Congrats to the amazing Gardner boys! Tyler looks so cute with his number. How fun! And Dave is looking so skinny these days. All that running must be paying off. I need to run more.

Lacy said...

I love that you guys did that. When I talked to T that day of the race...he was trying to act like it wasn't a big deal but he had a huge smile on his face!!

Chellese said...

Oh, man, I wish I could have been there to see that. T is a stud.

Ali said...

Iliana! Hello there. Your little family is gorgeous! You look like you're having a great life - so fun to see. These pics make me miss Utah...

Regan said...

That is so cute that he was so excited about it. How long was this kids race anyway? Looks like you've got a competitor on your hands!

Mama G said...

I LOVE that boy!!

Tiffany W. said...

Too cute! Connor ran his first race this year and love it too! It was only a half mile, but lots of fun.

Unknown said...

What a stud! That's so fun that he got to do a race.

Valerie said...

That's awesome that he's loving that. Keep him going. He'll be winning all of them!