Saturday, February 28, 2009

Some trivial thoughts as of late...

I know I'm not the only one. You've done it too.

You see the same chick at the park with her kids and it always looks like she forgot to look in the mirror. You think, hum, she must really not care about clothes. Or shoes. Or make up. She must be kinda depressed. I should call Clinton and Stacy to help her.

I used to sometimes think that about people. I know I know. I was such a meanie.

Then I had a kid and it got a little harder to think about me. And slowly, I started wearing flip flops 24/7 and rarely wore a stitch of make up.

Then I had another kid. Less make-up and more cheap t-shirts. I justified my altering persona by telling myself that I was being practical. And that a girl who was going to get boogers wiped on her any moment should stop dropping by Banana so frequently. Boogers and pretty things don't mesh.

Then to top off the the blandness, I realized times are tough. Not so tough, because I am so well taken care of, but tougher. Kinda like peppered beef jerkey tough. A little yummy but accomanied with a sore jaw from all the knawing.

So between my two cute excuses and my desire to be thrifty, I've drifted to ugly land.

And now when I see the same chick at the park I don't feel bad for her at all. I don't judge her. I think: Ahh, yes. A mom on a budget. She's brave. She probably even looked in the mirror and shrugged her shoulders and laughed at the reflection. Cause what else can you do but laugh.

I am her. And I'm still the same (if not wiser) as I've always been. The packaging's a little ugly, and there seems to be lots of padding and peanuts buffering my organs, but it's all the same inside.

Now this doesn't mean I'm immune from wanting and hoping. This doesn't mean I don't want to be a pretty package in pretty wrapping. So... if Mr. Buffett was passing out the dough, her's what I'm fancying...

These dainty little things at not so dainty a price.
And throw with 'em some cute sailor pants and feminine shirt.
And for the days when I'm expecting both both boogers and guests...

And then these cuties. My ugly feet would cease to be ugly.




And a skirt for the spring.


And this T. But in white.


So let this be a lessen to those still capable and willing to be cute and fashionable. We want the same things too. We just might not be as lucky, or driven, or whatever it is that haults our stylishness. So please don't judge my kinda-white-slightly beige-jam-stained t-shirt. It's awesome.
Oh, and no need to comment on the astonishing resemblence between me and the hot model. I know, right?!

11 comments:

lvohs@hotmail.com & dvohs4@gmail.com said...

love the clothes! I said the donald but dustin said denis! I'm so glad someone can think like me in tanglewood!

Tiffany W. said...

hahahah! That frumpy, ugly, no makeup, wal-mart clothes, flip-flop wearing wearing chick is ME! But it wasn't always that way and I HATE IT! But I never seem to justify expensive stuff just to be barfed all over 100 times a day. (Dallin spits uplike mad) And sometimes when you don't feel pretty...makeup and hair is too much work. Why bother? So sad! but if you want to pick out my new wardrobe (you seem to have pretty good taste) I just might be motivated to do my hair and put on some makeup! ;)

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about when you saw me at the park the other day?! I am in desperate need of a change in the clothes, body, hair, shoe, everything department. At least I have 3 cute excuses for why I look the way I do but for now I will keep dreaming of being cute again!!!

Mindika said...

First of all...you are not ugly! But I love the post. I'm totally that chick. I used to be a marketing director for shopping centers for heaven's sake. I was skinny, single (lot's of expendable income), and I shopped everyday! I looked good. I used to go on TV and give people shopping and fashion advice...now...I desperately need to loose weight, on a good day I wash my hair, I live in sweat pants and t-shirts, and my makeup seems to be lasting me months longer than it used to. (lack of use maybe??) But, I look into Reese's big eye's every morning and realize it's all worth it.

maelynn said...

OK. I realize that I don't see you in person very often, but when I do, you always look SO cute! And I'm always jealous of your sense of style!
At least you haven't converted 100% to buying yourself clothes at Target and Old Navy, like I have! I don't even KNOW the last time I went to a Banana or JCrew. I'm lame.
You're a hot mom Iliana!

Gabby said...

I feel the same way. I will start worrying when I don't even realize that I'm that person at the park in sweats.

Regan said...

That email sums me up. I do put on makeup and do my hair everyday but the clothes are nothing to brag about. I feel the same way, practical wins over anything else. And then if I do go try on something nice, I never look as good in it because oh yeah, I'm not a size 2 like the model. So then it's back to Target or wherever else for clothes. So don't worry honey, your not alone.

Ali said...

I've stopped looking at the moms and started looking at the kids! That's where we all spend all our time and energy anyway! Tate dresses better than me on many days. Ah, the sacrifices of being a mom.

Chellese said...

After we rock the P90x we'll have to go on a shopping spree! And take pictures! I love you a ga-ton, Iliana. Thanks for always listening to my complaints and craziness.

Melissa said...

First of all, you are GORGEOUS - and don't forget it! Second of all, I LOVE your taste. And I'm glad I'm not the only one dreaming up outfits I would wear if I could...

Marnie said...

Iliana, I think you should be a writer. Why weren't you an English major?!! You put things so eloquently. :) We can all relate.