Wednesday, October 01, 2008

My Dad...

This is my dad.


He's a great dad, and I honestly can't think of a better person. Well, maybe he's tied with my mom, but you get my point. I like to think my dad secretly loves me most out of us kids, although I'm sure in reality he loves us equal. I also like to think that I love him most. Cause really, I do. When I think of my dad, I am always filled with such joy because he always emits it. I know I've posted this pic before, but sadly its the last one I've taken of the two of us.
Today is my Dad's birthday and I am very sad I can't be by him and take him to dinner and spend time just sitting by him on the couch. But since I can't be next to you, Dad, to tell you how much I love you, I'll write it here.
  • I love you because you always seem happy. Even when life stinks, and things are hard, you put on the smile and genuinely find happiness. I think this is what I admire most about you.
  • I love you because you treat everyone the same: with respect, compassion, and love. I've never heard you speak evil of anyone. Oh, except maybe the former President of the U.S., but he deserved it :) You are no respector of persons, and everyone to you is someone important. That's why anyone who meets or knows you loves you.
  • I love that you are so patient. I know I've dissapointed you in the past I'm sure (after all I was a bratty teenager), but I never knew it. I don't recall you ever speaking harshly to me, or being upset with me, or even ever criticizing a stupid discision I'd made. And in return, I can't recall a time where I was ever upset with you. I only have fond memories. Thank you for that.
  • I love you because you work so hard. You work hard to provide for our family, you work hard to make us all happy, you work hard to serve others, and you work hard to please God. You've been a great example to me.
  • I love you because you are always the calm in the storm. You have perspective and faith, and hope, and knowledge, and this blesses so many lives.
  • I love you because you are funny and lighthearted. You can make me laugh when I feel like crying or when I'm wallowing in self pity and I just want to be sad. You can turn that around for me.
  • I love you because when I was little you used to take us to A&W after your softball games and get us a huge jug of rootbeer. And when you had to work late and it was dark before you got home, you'd walk into the house with a white bag of Snicker's bars for all us kids. I love how you'd take us to walk around the temple for FHE and then always get us Dillybars from DairyQueen. I love how now whenever we're together you take us out to try some new restaruant that we're all reluctant about, and it always turns out good and fun and new. Apparently, you instilled in me a love of sugar and food :)!
  • I love you because you love mom, and you've always treated her with respect. I was excited to get married because of you.
  • I love you because you taught me to always try, and to walk away happy and satisfied despite the outcome. Because of you I like myself. Even when I'm not the greatest. What a gift you gave.
But most of all I love you simply because you're my dad. You've sacrificed for me, you've put up with me, and you've taught me. To me, you're perfect.



Happy Birthday!

12 comments:

jamieleighcall said...

Geez. You made me all teary-eyed and I don't even know the man. I love the pics of the boys. They are dolls! Can't wait to see you guys on Friday.

Chellese said...

Such a nice tribute and I love the pictures. I'm sure your Dad will too.

Whitney said...

so cute. what a great dad. and like I mentioned before. I think he is handsome.

BLStradling said...

Iliana you are the best! We love him too!

Valerie said...

That is sereously the sweetest thing I've ever read. I seriously was holding back the tears. You're such a great person! Sounds like you got it from your dad! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a cute post and your boys are adorable holding the " I luv u" letters!!!

Tiffany W. said...

Yeah for dads! They are the best! Sounds like you got a good one--lucky you! This post makes me really miss my dad.

Lacy said...

What a great relationship you have with your dad.

Amanda said...

That's such a nice post! You sound a lot like your dad:)

Kasey said...

I love your dad too! Todd calls him Gramp. Don't know where he picked that up. So, Happy birthday Gramp!

jamieleighcall said...

To answer your question "Lame but you love them"... so true. The writing isn't great but the plot keeps you wanting to turn the page. The sexual tension is fun to read... do you think I'm sick or what? ;) Anyway, overall not the best books I've ever read but still entertaining. Have I convinced you to join the darkside yet?

Chellese said...

Hey, I tagged you on my wanna be site. I need the pressure regarding the CBCG Photography site. I wish I didn't stumbled so easily. I'm shooting for the end of this week.