Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm so not Job...

Once, like 10 years ago, while working in the Scottsdale branch of Merrill Lynch, a short, fat, Christian, very kind black lady said, "Iliana, you have the patience of Job." I remember thinking, "wow, that is the craziest, most awesome compliment ever, and so very untrue." But I said thanks anyway. And now, when I'm feeling crappy, or thinking I'm not doing well enough, I remind myself that one person out there in the universe thought I was pretty good.
Today I realized my faith is lacking. It isn't new news, but it gets brought to my attention everytime there is change in my life. I hate change. That's why I have a rigid routine in place, why my kids sleep at the same time for naps and bedtime, why I make the beds in the same order every morning, and why some may call me crazy.
On Sunday night when I heard that BofA bought out Merrill I instantly panicked, started crying and immediately wondered what tomorrow was going to hold. Being who I am I started thinking about my food storage (or lack thereof), of the kids needing new winter clothes so they'd be warm, of money. It was a long night for me. And all night long I just kept thinking, "oh ye, of little faith."
Though things seem brighter this morning, and hope is high, and Dave's job doesn't seem threatened, and the world is still spinning, I'm still a bit scared of the unknown. And really, I'm annoyed that I'm scared of that. Buck up Il,
"Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed, For I am thy God and will still give thee aid. When through the deep waters I call thee to go, The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o’erflow, For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless, And sanctify to thee, and sanctify to thee, And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress"
you're not dying. You're boys are healthy, life is good. You're house hasn't been washed away by Ike, you are safe, you are fine. Who knew I was so dramatic?! Well, Dave knew, AND he married me anyway.
So since I've gotten a wake up call but again, I'm determined to plant that little mustard seed a little deeper and water it a little more so that when (and I'm sure they'll be a when) a real crisis occurs in my life, I won't start balling histarically for hours and call my mother and mother in law in pure panic asking them if there's room for the four of us :).
Back in the 1980's, Elder Holland gave a talk that included a story about Thomas Edison, and I thought it fit my bill perfectly...
Thomas Edison devoted ten years and all of his money to developing the nickel-alkaline storage battery at a time when he was almost penniless. Through that period of time, his record and film production were supporting the storage battery effort. Then one night the terrifying cry of fire echoed through the film plant. Spontaneous combustion had ignited some chemicals. Within moments all of the packing compounds, celluloids for records, film, and other flammable goods had gone up with a whoosh. Fire companies from eight towns arrived, but the heat was so intense and the water pressure so low that the fire hoses had no effect. Edison was 67 years old—no age to begin anew. His daughter was frantic, wondering if he were safe, if his spirits were broken, how he would handle a crisis such as this at his age. She saw him running toward her. He spoke first. He said, “Where’s your mother? Go get her. Tell her to get her friends. They’ll never see another fire like this as long as they live.” At 5:30 the next morning, with the fire barely under control, he called his employees together and announced, “We’re rebuilding.” One man was told to lease all the machine shops in the area, another to obtain a wrecking crane from the Erie Railroad Company. Then, almost as an afterthought, he added, “Oh, by the way, anybody know where we can get some money?”
Virtually everything you now recognize as a Thomas Edison contribution to your life came after that disaster. Remember, “Trouble has no necessary connection with discouragement—discouragement has a germ of its own.”
Why didn't I just call up my mother and say, "Hurry, turn to CNN, Dave's company may no longer exist and the whole financial industry in general is going crazy. This is amazing, we may never see anything like this again. This could be an awesome new beginning!"
Maybe next time I will. And since I screwed up with my reaction this time, I'm sure I'll be given a do- over by the One in charge.
I hope for these turkey's sakes I can be a better example.
And I hope that their care-free, play filled, lovely lives can continue for a very long time. And that when that time is upset by trial, they can be like their dad, and have lots and lots of faith.


9 comments:

arianne said...

This is weird - my sister just emailed me this talk by Elder Holland last week. It's a good one. You'll be fine, Iliana. And you do have faith - I'm sure of it. When I heard about the whole Merrill Lynch thing this morning on the radio (because I'm behind the times and don't watch news on tv) I immediately thought of you and first: how Dave's job would be affected, and second: how you ended up a Merrill Lynch family in the first place as a result of our (mine and yours) sweat and tears, temp job searching one summer and when I got the 1-800-flowers job how you got a lifelong, high paying job at Merrill Lynch that even transferred with you back to Utah. You little cheat.

Chellese said...

I can site a few of my own "reaction screw-ups" and hope to do better in future situations. I'm glad things look steady for the time being and of course, I know these things happen for a reason. I, like you, hope that carefree times are long lasting for all of our children. Love you, Iliana.

Anonymous said...

You're amazing!!! I'm not sure that I would have recovered quite as fast as you did, in fact I didn't when Dale lost his job. Thanks for this post, that talk was just what I needed:)

jamieleighcall said...

I've been thinking about you guys ever since I saw the announcement on the news. If it makes you feel any better, I probably would have had that same initial reaction. You guys are fighters though and I'm sure everything will work out for the best, whatever that may be. When I told Jake this was his response "They will be fine." (Don't you love men?!) As for our little get together it looks like things are still in the works. I think some are planning on Friday night (26th) at Neal's parents' house. We will see if it happens. I know Phil and Kel can't make it that night. So, we'll see. I can't wait to see you guys! It's been way too long.

Unknown said...

If I have learned anything at all in life it is that we can only choose to live by the Lord and allow him to lead us. It doens't always mean it will be what makes sense to us, but he is only trying to bring us home to him. You are wonderufl and I am sure that there is no one better to handle life. Thanks for a wonderful post. We definitly needed it today.

Meridith O. said...

Iliana, you are such a strong woman! I need reminders like these everyday, all day, because just like you I am constantly up at night worrying over things like food storage, saving money, and the economy. I really am a freak when it comes to stuff like this....I think that is why we bonded as friends so quickly! Hope to see you soon sometime!

Sar said...

Great post Iliana, I needed to hear some great insight today. I think you should write a book. . . I would buy it!

Lisa Marie said...

I love you very much

BLStradling said...

Iliana you are amazing! Love your blog. You are a great mom, great wife and a great person! ( I have always thought so) You are the best writer that I know. Love keeping up with you through your blog! Your boys are adoarable. Amy is ready to pop!